2014/10/30

Road Warrior: For Stella & Dot's CEO it's all about attitude

  • by 
  •  
  • Now that Stella & Dot is in six countries, I travel about 60 days a year to train our stylists and go to company events.
    I save projects that I can really sink my teeth into for plane rides because I like having six, 10, or 13 uninterrupted hours of focused quiet time. I make sure I’m equipped with extra battery power, long power cords, adapters, a headset—everything required to stay charged and drown out distractions.
    “I get on the plane with enough food for 10 people…I think I have a fear of going hungry! I’m always equipped with fuel for both my laptop and my body.”
    I’m the first person to upgrade my laptop because I’m always seeking a longer battery life. As long as the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are off, my MacBook Air will make it from San Francisco to London without running out of power.
    When I fly, I’m partial to the most convenient schedule and the most economical ticket. I’m not one to collect loyalty points. Instead, I want to set an example for my company. I’d always rather invest in marketing than warm nuts on planes.
    When traveling within the U.S., I fly economy. I can easily fit into a coach seat, and I’m focused on work anyway. All other things being equal, I’ll choose Virgin or United because of their power outlets and clean seats.
    I believe in work/life integration, which would be too hard if I couldn’t bring my two daughters, especially when they’re off from school in the summer. This year they came with me to Portugal, France, London, and Florida.
    I love going on vacations where work doesn’t get in the way. I’m an early riser, so if we go west, I can get a lot done before my kids even wake up. For sun and surf, we love Hawaii. For skiing, Deer Valley in Utah is the ultimate family resort for young children.
    I have a formula for jet lag: I’ll exercise extra and skip caffeine before I get on the plane, and when I land, I’ll exercise a little and have an extra cup of coffee to be ready and alert.
    “I love the chaos of exotic, unplanned travel—I’d rather leave things to chance than get on a tour bus. You may end up hot and hungry or lost and tired, but you’ll never have a canned experience, and you’ll never forget it. Hence, I’m a big fan of the saying: “The difference between ordeal and adventure is attitude”.”
    A friend who hiked Kilimanjaro once told me that rest is the goal and sleep is a bonus. That’s how I feel about overnight flights. I’m a light sleeper, so I focus on the fact that people have done much greater things with much less sleep.
    Checking luggage is heresy to the travel gods. Even on a ski trip to Europe, I’ll rewear my denim or my shoes—whatever it takes to never, ever do it. I’m in the accessories business, so I pack different necklaces to change up my outfit. I’ve also optimized my carry-on luggage to be the biggest possible thing you can walk onto the plane with, packed to maximum density.

    No hay comentarios.: